Allergy Awareness

The College has several students who have severe allergic reaction to nuts and other allergens. This reaction is called Anaphylaxis. It is a severe, rapidly progressive allergic reaction that is potentially life threatening and requires urgent treatment. The most common allergens in school aged children are peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, cow's milk, fish and shell fish, wheat, soy, sesame and certain insect venom (particularly bee stings)

The College has Anaphylaxis Guidelines which implement practical strategies to minimise the risk of exposure to known allergens for our allergic students. John XXIII College is an "allergy aware" school, the College can never totally eliminate the risk of an anaphylaxis and we cannot guarantee a totally allergen free environment. The key to prevention of anaphylaxis in schools is knowledge of the student who has been diagnosed as at risk, awareness of allergens, and prevention and avoidance of exposure to those allergens.

As a preventative measure could we please ask you to protect the students in our College who are at risk of anaphylaxis by:

  • Not sending food to school which has peanuts or tree nuts (e.g. hazelnuts, cashews, almonds) in the ingredients list.
  • Teach your child to respect children who have food allergies.
  • Teach your child not to share food, drink, food utensils or containers with anyone.
  • Encourage your child to wash their hands before and after eating.
  • Ask your child to get help immediately if their allergic schoolmate gets sick.
  • Explaining to your child that teasing an allergic schoolmate is bullying and could be life-threatening.

If your child has a severe Food Allergy:

  • Teach your child not to share food, drink, food utensils or containers.
  • Teach your child to wash hands before and after eating.
  • Food for your child should be supplied from home
  • If students with food allergy in primary school are allowed to make a canteen purchase the parent of the student with food allergy should check the order or visit the canteen and check suitable safe foods prior to the child making any purchase or order.
  • When a child with a food allergy in primary school has a lunch order could parents ensure their food allergy is written in 'red 'on lunch bag.
  • If your child has a food allergy, teach them not to have foods that may trigger their allergy. If they are unsure what ingredient is in a food, they should not eat it.
  • Parents are advised that your child should carry their adrenaline autoinjector on them when age appropriate to do so.
  • It is recommended that students with severe food allergies wear a medic alert bracelet/necklet.
  • Educate and empower your child to manage his/her allergy.
  • For more information on allergies go to:


Jenny Hill - College Nurse