FOOD ALLERGY WEEK 2014

Australia has one of the highest reported incidences of food allergies in the world, and the numbers are growing at an alarming rate. In fact, one in 10 babies born in Australia will develop a food allergy.

An allergic reaction can quickly become life threatening. While the risk cannot be removed, it can be managed. It's up to all of us to be allergy aware - to know how to minimise the risk of a reaction, to know what to do if a reaction happens, and to understand and support family, friends and colleagues with food allergies.

Our school does its best to be an "Allergy Aware"school. The College can never totally eliminate the risk of an anaphylaxis and we cannot guarantee a totally allergen free environment. The key to prevention of anaphylaxis in schools is knowledge of the student who has been diagnosed as at risk, awareness of allergens, prevention and avoidance of exposure to those allergens and action in the case of a reaction.

As a preventative measure could we please ask you to consider the students in our College who are at risk of anaphylaxis by:

  • Avoid sending food to school which has nuts or nut products in.
  • Teach your child to respect children who have food allergies.
  • Teach your child not to share food, drink, food utensils or containers with anyone.
  • Encourage your child to wash their hands before and after eating.
  • Ask your child to get help immediately if their allergic schoolmate becomes unwell.

If your child has a severe Food Allergy:

  • Teach your child not to share food, drink, food utensils or containers.
  • Teach your child to wash hands before and after eating.
  • Food for your child should be supplied from home
  • When a child with a food allergy in primary school has a lunch order could parents ensure their food allergy is stated when ordering.
  • Parents are advised that your child should carry their Epipen (adrenaline autoinjector) on them when age appropriate to do so.
  • It is recommended that students with severe food allergies wear a medic alert bracelet/necklet.
  • Educate and empower your child to manage his/her allergy and to get help immediately if feeling unwell.
  • For more information on allergies go to: www.allergy.org.au and www.allergyfacts.org.au

Thankyou

Jenny Hill - College Nurse

Reference: Australian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy